Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This is just me, dreaming again ;)

I am falling in love with old farmhouses... the wide planked floors, the beat up baseboards, every nick and ding must have a story behind it. I dream of living in one someday. On an actual farm where I can have an acre garden and barns and a chicken coop and barn cats and a stream that Little Brother can go fishing in. I think we have become a people that don't appreciate the history of the places around us. We want new everything, new cars, new houses, new EVERYTHING!! I have fallen in love with old everything... old cars, old houses, old clothes, old linens, old buttons, old appliances, old furniture ( I have to tell you, it is built so much better than this newer junk they sell! ) The details in older homes is amazing. The woodwork is beautiful, and its real wood! The plaster walls have such character, the doors are solid wood, the wood floors are real wood and every dent and scrape gives it even more character. Leaded glass windows, farm sinks, basement root cellars, drafty windows (no mold problems there!!), and the creaks and groans that these beautiful stately old farmhouses make let you know that it has been around for allot longer than I have been! I grew up in an old stately Victorian style home, the woodwork is amazing, the rooms enormous, the floors beautiful ( even if my dad doesn't agree ;), the high ceilings were meant to keep it cooler in the summer (and it is), the old windows (only a few left) are drafty. The wide open grand staircase is beautiful in detail and craftsmanship, (even tho no one sees it anymore cuz the main entrance that we use would have been considered the kitchen or servants entrance). It has been slowly modernized over the years, some new windows, a full basement put under it, some sheetrock in places, but it still has good bones! I love the doors, and the floors, and the plaster walls and the woodwork, ah, the woodwork...
someday... someday I will have my dream house, not a Victorian for me, but an old farmhouse, that still has good bones.
I guess I will always be a dreamer, but such good dreams I have

No comments: